Thursday, July 8, 2010

black things with wings

I had an amazing moment on my walk to work this morning. I was rounding the point at Vanier park, and saw a couple of black bird-like shapes under a tree in the distance. Too big to be ravens or crows. I assumed they were statues- more 'outdoor art.' They didn't move until I was quite close, and then one of them ruffled a wing. Holy smokes! I derailed from my path and approached them slowly. Holy hot smoking potatoes! These birds were big as geese, black all over, and tough as nails. One of them was pulling apart a bit of pink fabric with its beak and talons. Probably the remains of a little girl it ate for breakfast. My headphones were still blaring Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. It was an apocalyptic moment.

I did some quick research, and now believe they were Great Black Hawks. Indigenous to South America, Mexico, and other such warm places. Vacationing up North? Nobody else seemed to notice them. Hallucinating again?

Too beautiful and mystifying for words. The excitement stayed with me all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment