Monday, August 16, 2010

Lily

Almost a week since my last blog... I think my time went into a vacuum.

I know I have said this often, but that city-time is really hard for me. The work was really rewarding and I had some awesome encounters with human folk, but just being in the thrumming vibe of the city for that long brought me to a lower point than I've been at for a long while.
So I came home yesterday, low and tired and empty. Put a blanket under a tree outside and napped. Woke up, tried to stay awake, and took another nap. By evening, after a total of 8 hours spent in deep dreams, my headache was gone and I felt human again.
Mom and I took a walk before dusk, starting down a path where I often encounter this beautiful fawn. And there she was, looking down the hill at her mother, and watching us a bit nervously. Her mom had somehow climbed up a steep embankment and was buried in a clump of bushes. Her head was poking up at us from the side of the hill. When she saw us, she abandoned the bush blossoms and scrambled up towards the path.
She is my favourite deer on Bowen. Such a pretty face, such a gentle way. I call her Lily. There were blackberry bushes behind us, so I picked a handful and offered them to her. Lily's fawn dashed out of sight at my first movement. But Lily was unafraid, and she ate them from my hand. I repeated this, and each time I was able to get a little closer, until she let me stroke her head, her neck, her back. It was so beautiful. It restored me.
I hope that Lily is not this friendly with everyone. I have never encountered a deer that was so unguarded with a human. Please be careful, Lily with the big brown eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment