Monday, August 9, 2010

Can't please 'em all

Quokkas! Ha ha ha!
Just learned about a new animal - what a face. He's got a bit of the capybara's rugged good looks, don't you think? Quite tiny, like the size of a small bunny, but with a miniature kangaroo body. I swear.

Woke up from this really frustrating dream where I was riding my bike over these gravelly dunes by the sea and I was wearing the purple and red pom-pom slippers my Grandma knit for me. Had to get off my bike and go get something from two weird ladies in their creepy apartment, and when I came out, I was miles away from my bike and it was getting dark and stormy. Bike left alone and unprotected. And me in my pom-pom slippers. Tarnation!
Just very quickly.... Oh, what a concert last night! Monteverdi (& contemporaries) Madrigali. Man, do I ever wish you could hear music like that more than once a year in Vancouver. What a stunning group. Interesting... so this is late Renaissance/brand new Baroque, 16th and 17th century, and all the poetry is pure heart-gushingness. They all kinda go like this: "You don't love me and I am dying. Dying, dying. Each look stabs me and I love it, love it. Kill me some more, you brutal demon, and let me kiss your feet - if you spit at me at least I'll feel your hot breath. Please just tell me you love me before I die. It's all too much torture and delicious despair." And this is all in Italian, and with incredible word-painting. Word-painting! Makes everything that came after sound like dentist-chair music.

Okay, now I'm late. And I didn't have a chance to muse about my FNC. Or about those impossible-to-please people that I was gonna scorch a bit. Maybe tonight.
..

No comments:

Post a Comment