Friday, October 1, 2010

Lava

Been having a lot of dreams about Hawaii.
Doing lots of research. Think I'll be staying on the Big Island: tons of intense nature, uncrowded, and places to stay right in the jungle.
You can watch lava flowing into the ocean, and go caving under the volcanoes. (Thanks to Michele F from Flickr, whoever you are, for letting me snatch this picture.) Lots of hikes through volcanic wastelands and jungle. The leeward side of the island is totally protected by the volcanoes, so there's a whole string of sheltered, calm coves with crystalline water, white sand beaches; apparently spectacular snorkeling and lots of dolphins and turtles.
The island is too big to not have a car; this is a problem - I wanted to get around on foot or bicycle. After some asking around, I think I'll buy a used scooter when I get there, and then sell it when I leave.
The place I'm thinking of staying is on a coffee plantation. They supply unlimited fresh coffee, fruit and macadamia nuts.
I woke up grumpy but am feeling much more cheerful now. The sun has also just started to rise, which is a relief. I hate waking up in the dark. Glad I'll have bright early morning crispness to walk to the ferry in.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment