Friday, October 8, 2010

In Olden Times

I am in Toronto now and things are good. I could write a lot about this baby - he is just a lighthouse. My bro and his wife are the kind of people I look up to in the world, so I know the baby has the parents he deserves, and vice versa.
Having some nice quiet time, too, with my book and my journal. I am reading this Medieval trilogy by Sigrid Undset called "Kristin Lavransdatter". It's set in 14th century Norway - was a Nobel Prize winner back in the 20s when it was written. I mentioned this book to my brother and he said, "Oh, wasn't that the Norwegian Epic in 'The Danish Poet?' " If you haven't seen this animated film, you should. It's oddly moving. It's about a Danish Poet who is so touched by "Kristin Lavransdatter" that he writes to Sigrud Undset and asks if he can come see her 'for inspiration'. And she writes back and welcomes him. So off he goes. I watched this film a long time ago, and of course the literary references meant nothing to me then. I love these kinds of little coincidences that suddenly make remote things feel close and personal, and meant for one's own eyes/ears. And of course my last name is Danish. I love that The Danish Poet wrote Sigrid Undset a letter. In the doc I was watching on Darwin, he wrote letters to all the people he looked up to, with copies of his first major work.
I'm not comparing myself to Darwin.
..

No comments:

Post a Comment