Monday, October 25, 2010

Who wants A major anyways?

I am obsessed with counterpoint right now. Ack! Believe you me, it's not likely to win me too many fans in the pop music world. But what can I do? Both hands want to play running lines, and my ears want that big jumble of notes jumping off each other and forming split-second harmonies. It's all too easy to fall into the rut of left-hand accompaniment, right-hand melodies. And all too easy to place melodies in the treble register. Gotta switch it up! Our ears are getting laaazy. I've been writing a fair bit these days, with multiple pieces on the go. That feels good, feels right to work that way - I improvise, and exercise the fingers for a bit on one piece, make some notes, and when I cease to feel inspired, move on to another piece. Maybe this is not the most productive method... things come together patchily and slowly. But it's fun. Hoo boy, it's so difficult to not write the same thing in different ways, over and over. I find myself in the same keys, searching for the same kinds of dissonance, the same colours. I've got to cut myself off from the ol' B minor. (God bless it, the most haunting of keys.) Trying to work with A major - ugh. Or worse, F major. But who wants it? A is so bright. F is so comfortable.
Some big forward-steps for me - booked 2 shows and have rehearsals lined up. Won't go into it now, but this side of the music biz is hard for me. (Ah well, what side isn't?) But the CD is being mastered as we speak, and the cover design is practically finished - and looks gorgeous - and all I have left to do is take it in to the manufacturing company and get it pressed. Whoo-ee. Planning some kind of 3rd show, an unofficial CD release, for December. And then it's Christmas, and then Hawaii, and Manta Rays.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment