Tuesday, January 18, 2011

going back to Sunday

I bet you're wondering when and how I'm gonna get dumped on in this trip. But I've tossed out the notion of 'too good to be true'. Why shouldn't true be that good? I don't take it for granted - I try to repay all gifts with all gratitude.
My worst complaint so far is this:
Why in the hell does this landscape defy me so obstinately to get a decent picture of it? Its beauty is protected by some magic shroud that allows the senses, but not a camera lens, to absorb it. Cameras are deceptive things. Use them too much, and you end up sacrificing experiences in the present for a bunch of ghost-like images. Like so many tourists. But I sometimes just can't resist. Want to hold onto something a little longer...
I'm on Kauai now - flew over yesterday.
I haven't told you about my last day on Maui yet. It's because I've hit a blogging wall...
ie. I've run out of adjectives. I have to scale back. Use a little newspeak.
So: On Sunday I went for a hike on Waihee Ridge. It was a long way to the trailhead and I stopped to say hello to horses and My Street, got sunburnt on my scooter. I hiked up and up. There were many good things to see, including good trees (Norfolk Pines), flowers, 2 waterfalls, and doublegood lookouts. As I gained elevation, views became gooder. And at the top, the views were doubleplusgood.

Proof of Danish ancestral pilgrimage to the Paradise Isles?

An apple for this lovely snout.

View from the bottom.

Ropey tendrils from Norfolk pines.

Waterfalls, poorly photographed.

Curlicue fiddleheads.

The Iao valley below, looking bland in comparison to real life.

Looking over Kahului beaches.

Sea urchin growing on tree (?)

More unphotogenic slopes, magnificent in person.

From the peak. Views were 360 degrees. DoublePlusPlusPlusGood.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment