Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How?

No pictures today. Had a little setback with my camera... but I'll be back in photo action tomorrow.
Oh God, people, I hope and pray that I will do something with my life to make me worthy of the kind of day I just had.
I thought I knew Maui, but I was wrong. I discovered an entire stretch of coastline that I'd never seen, and it has completely stolen my heart. I might have to go there every day. Might have to try living there. (Might have to somehow save the unfathomable amount of money it would take to own a home there...)
But starting at the beginning of my day: Got up with the sun at 7:30. Went out walking - a perfect morning, already 22 degrees or so by 8am. Birdsong absolutely raucous, hibiscus opening reluctantly. Everywhere, swathes of plumeria and bougainvillea, countless varieties of palms, trees of papaya, banana, tangerine and mango, golden sand, red earth, turquoise water, crashing surf, views of rugged mountains and the other islands. Wild roosters, egrets, and mynas wandering about like proper citizens. I found a route to the most perfect swimming beach, and went there a bit later with my snorkel gear. The water was the temperature of bliss, the sand below soft and fine, the reefs alive with amazing things. The beach was full of families and I was happy to be amongst them - such an atmosphere of pleasure and joy. A clear sky, hot sun, cool breeze, no bugs.
Later - took a long drive from Kahului to Kapalua, behind the West mountains, along the coastline... fell into deep love. Man oh man - forget the drive to Hana - at least for me. This road passes through a huge variety of ecosystems, from bone-dry ranchlands to bursting valleys. The road is narrow, winding, often has no shoulder, and sits high above the sea. The mountains cut away down to the sea in the most dramatic slopes and outcroppings of rock. (Somehow it reminded me of Scotland or Ireland, in spite of all the obvious differences.) The landscape of chiseled lava ranges in colour from pale gray to ochre to dark orange, brick red, brown and black. Sometimes it's covered in soft grasses and cactus-like palms, other times dense rainforest life, or bizarre cypress-like pines. The views are staggering - I just lost my head. Ocean forever and ever, in something like a 250 degree panorama... the sun setting purple behind Molokai, humpback whales spouting off the coast. I just wish everyone was here to see it. I promise, when I become a rancher on this coast, to have ample guest rooms.
xx

3 comments:

  1. ... and you've only been there for two days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wish I was there too! But you describe it so well, I feel like I can see it too. Off to a very promising start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. oh my. what can i possible say? there are few adequate words to say to someone who has seen paradise! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete