Monday, January 10, 2011

Flashflood warnings and a pretty voice

A very cloudy day to follow yesterday's heat. It's still so odd to be inside, and see grey skies, and to open the door and step into lovely warm air. I went walking on the beach; it was raining lightly and I thought it would be cooler. But no, I had to take off my shoes and walk in the surf, and then I just had to walk right into the water and sit down because it was so warm.
Made my first bird identification today! There is this sweet bird call I'm always hearing that just sounds so... tropical. Such a beautiful sound. I discovered that it's the little Zebra dove! A small, plain bird with a wonderful voice. You can hear it sing 2 different songs here: Zebra dove
This evening: a storm. The sky grew dark and the winds came up strong. I was driving, and noticed the palm trees bending over and I thought: yikes - hurricanes! Warm air, howling wind, driving rain... just like in the movies. Well, maybe not, and halleluja. But it was cool to be in a short but spirited tropical storm. Back at my place, the rain was dripping through the air conditioner, there was thunder and lightning and raging rain. Flashflood warnings were issued on the radio for the next couple of days. Please do not let me be washed out to sea, oh loving Universe. I really would like to go horseback riding this weekend.

..

2 comments: