Friday, November 5, 2010

wolves

"Why everyone so crazy here?!" asked the old Iranian man sitting beside me at a bus stop last night. He was drinking Orange Crush, and wearing sunglasses in the dark. I said I wished I knew.

It made me think of an encounter from a few weeks ago. I was walking around the lake on Bowen, and a lady jogged passed me. A few minutes later she came running back and yelled at me from down the trail, "Are those your dogs?"
I didn't see any dogs around. "Uh, no- what dogs?"
She looked really anxious. "Are there any... scary things here?"
"Er, like what?"
"Wolves?"

Can you imagine if we did have wolves running around on these islands? There are only fierce beavers, and otters and minks that squeeze into chicken coops and eat the chickens. And I guess the occasional ornery stag. And owls. Owls are pretty tough. They'll try to eat your head if you have a pony tail or bear any other resemblance to a mouse. Yesterday, in the silvery early morning, there was a big owl sitting atop a fence post in the back yard. A pretty awe-inspiring bird.

My cat is still sick and it's pretty sad to see him so out of sorts. He's home from the hospital though, and is definitely bored with not feeling good. People and animals are funny. I just found out that this really quiet and conservative guy I know used to own 5 snakes, and would let them just roam around his house. One of them was badly poisonous, and it bit him. Now he doesn't own snakes.

..

1 comment:

  1. Actually, there may be a cougar on Bowen right now ... somebody that V knows was going around the lake with their two dogs this week, one of them ran off into the bush, and when it returned it was bleeding from wounds on its neck and belly. The vet told them it had been attacked by either a dog or a cougar - but since they hadn't heard any dog-fighting noises, they are thinking maybe cougar ....

    ReplyDelete