Tuesday, November 16, 2010

old wood, new paint

See this hair-do? In all my years, I don't think I've ever been as happy with what was on my head. It took a fair bit of time for my Mom to braid it all, and then pin it like a crown, with little bow-tie barrettes. What a transformation - like the fairy Godmother waving her wand. Pink dress, princess hair, and rock-star face paint - I felt like a million bucks.
I'm going to paint myself up like this tomorrow for my gig, just for old time's sake. It will match my new dress just perfectly.
It's nice to see a picture of my old piano too. Spent so many hours with my fingers on those keys - I can recall exactly how they felt, and the smooth wood, and the wiggly old pedals, and the lamp and the bench and the carpet underfoot. I felt so traitorous when we said goodbye to that piano and bought a grand.
Now that all my music is tucked securely into my memory, I feel totally different about the songs. The best part has been sitting at my keyboard, with headphones on, in my room at night - playing in the dark. The keyboard is right in front of the window, so if the lights are off I can look out at the trees and the water while I play - my fingers just know where to go and my mind can sort of float. Sounds cheesy and romantic, but that's how it is.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment