Saturday, March 19, 2011

wood vs plastic


This is my piano. My sweet dusty piano. Doesn't it look scary and mysterious and all too inviting in there? Such a thrilling maze of hammers and felt and strings and pegs and wood and iron...

This is my keyboard. My workhorse. Even though it's just plastic and electricity and who knows what else, it's been good to me. I plug headphones into it, and the privacy is a glorious thing.
But I still think that all electric pianos sound like garbage when they're amplified, and this one is no exception. It's such a dim dull shadowy ghost of a real piano - not something to perform on. Though I have many times.

This is my new toy. It's a lovely thing, and I think I'm going to have to stop renting it and start financing it. The thing about electric pianos is that the 'acoustic piano' sound is just not something that can be mimicked by a keyboard, in spite of all our amazing technology. (In my humble opinion, of course.) But keyboards that don't try to not sound electric - rhodes, wurlitzers, organs etc - sounds fantastic live. Music I write for the piano can be saved for those rare shows when I get to play a real piano... if I also write music intended for keyboards and synths. I think that the more I embrace it, the more creative I'll be.

.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. Is that bottom one a synth? I love the looks of your sheet music.

    I was just talking to someone about electronic sound on Tuesday. The way that it's created is really simple science, and mindblowing at the same time.

    "Embracing the instrument" - another good converation for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intereresting reading. thx

    paxil

    ReplyDelete