Sunday, December 5, 2010

the cave

Every day the light is different in the morning. Today, there is a veil of pale yellow over the mountains, a soft mist reflecting the sunlight. Everything is tinged with a saffron-grey hue... except, now it's gone. It changes so quickly.
Yesterday, I walked to a new beach, and found a cave. It's not very deep, but still magical - and only accessible at low tide. It felt so warm and safe - I wanted to make a little home there. But the tide was coming in, so I crept out on some rocks and found a smooth place to stretch out, just barely out of the reach of the waves - and with nothing but the open sea before and below me. Bright sun, a thousand liquid sounds, brief visits by sleep. Nothing lacking in a complete happiness - which to me is a sense, not only of pleasure, but of both stillness and flight, ease and unattachment. The ocean somehow takes me over... my whole being reflects its basic nature, becomes liquid and unseparate from every molecule, spread out and shifting over thousands of miles, with no need for direction or worry of fate.

..

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I've enjoyed reading your posts. You give a great sense of what it's like to be living on Bowen Island. Also, what it's like to live the life of an artist.

    ReplyDelete