Tuesday, April 5, 2011

action

For some reason, I'm still thinking about the locker-room scenario, wondering why it stuck with me.
Firstly, I think it's just the energy that was radiating from these women. (Speaking of radiation.) If I hadn't been such a detached observer in the situation, I would've been infected by their energy. I'm not one for Aura-talk. I just know that people exude energy that can influence and affect me hugely, both for better and worse. These ladies were walking, talking toxic waste plants. Nobody is going to react to that kind of proselytizing except with compounded negativity.
Secondly, both these women seemed to be speaking from a place of outrage over wrong-doing. Which must have roots in goodness and a love of life and this world. Their rant seemed an aberration of the underlying care/concern that triggered the outrage. 'How good impulses turn into bad actions.' Such a disconnect there.
Thirdly, I think it's essentially disgusting to complain about the state of our society when we live here, in peace, health, safety, stability and beauty. There are troubled happenings everywhere, and while I agree it's important to be aware of them, I think it's even more important to be grateful for our living conditions, such as they are. When I think of the people of Japan and Libya, I am ashamed to catch myself in any stance of complaint.
Finally, I would like to find a way to be more of an activist. It requires a balance between an awareness of injustice and a grounding in gratitude. The desire to improve a situation of wrong-doing has to come from a place of compassion and not hate. Mostly, there has to be actual action. Bitching and ranting may be verbs, but they're not real actions. I need to think about this.
For now, I can commit to small but daily actions: appreciate and not abuse the luxuries of food, water, electricity, technology, and abundance; value, love and care for the earth by connecting to it at every opportunity; work hard at my work so that I can meaningfully contribute to the world; help others whenever and wherever I can; remember the fleetingness of all things, be careful of grasping, and recognize the difference between wants and needs; always be aware of the impact I have on everything around me; practice non-violence, forgiveness and loving kindness; take stock each day of my right actions vs not-right actions; practice, really practice humility; take responsibility for my energy and mood and how it affects others; ask the Universe for help with everything, because my own thoughts are too narrow to guide me wisely.

.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an artist is activism, in a way. A friend of mine recently wrote: "Every time I open up to the "unknown" and create a live art performance I am providing a possiblity for re-imaging the self, individually and collectively- and this is a political act."

    ReplyDelete