Saturday, June 25, 2011

an audience

Behold this lovely doe, taking her ease. I've never seen deer lie about in the manner
of cats. I didn't think those long bony stilts could bend that way.
...
Now, I will tell you something strange but true:
I sat down at my keyboard today, in front of the window, and saw this dozing doe. I started to play, with my headphones on, and I swear she heard it. Twitched a bit, looked in my direction, right at the moment that I first pressed down the keys. I thought I might have disturbed her repose. But she settled again, smiling sleepily. So I played, and watched her through the window. Soon she had one ear cocked in the air. Cross my heart and hope to die. It was too beautiful for words, a peculiar honour, even to imagine that perhaps she was listening to me.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment