Friday, February 4, 2011

paying it down

In Kona now. Sitting high up the mountain side. You know, 11 of Earth's 13 climate zones can be found on this island. Cool. Today I experienced several. Cool, hot, humid, unlucky, and foolish. My laptop crashed - was d.o.a. when I opened it up last night. Well, what can you expect - after all, my extended warranty had just expired. I spent a few hours hoofing it around Kona town looking for the mac store and a set of wheels. Got myself set with a scooter for the month, and handed the laptop over to the doctor, who did not give it a good prognosis. And then I went to buy groceries, and while I was in the store, I forgot I only had a scooter and came out with 5 bags full of provisions and staples. It took me some time, but I got it all strapped onto me and the bike, and then I remembered that 15 minutes in the car is a hell of a lot longer on a scooter, especially a heavily-laden scooter going straight uphill. I also remembered that it's way colder up the mountain than it is on the beach. And also that the only eyewear I had were sunglasses and it was getting dark. Anyways, I yelled "whooooot-whoooooooot!" very joyfully when I finally made it home - cold and squinty-eyed and very sore.
Now I am cozy and it is all an amusing memory. A fine example of how my eternal optimism sometimes leads to underestimating all kinds of things. But here's the good news: when I stepped on my sunglasses, they didn't break. And after thinking my new camera was lost, I eventually found it. And, as the wise old Pema Chodrin would say, I know I've paid off some karmic debt today. And paying down debt is always good.

.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping for you that this will be the worst of your experiences as you start this next few weeks on the Big Island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! What an adventure - so glad you survived it!

    ReplyDelete